Sunday, November 14, 2010

Scavenger Hunt

For last Thursday's discussion I decided to do the scavenger hunt. One artist I found who attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and who is related to feminist art is Georgia O'Keefe. In the Art Institute several of O'Keefe's paintings were up. I was able to find her "Yellow Hickory Leaves", "Black Cross, New Mexico", "Cow's Skull with Calico Roses", "Red Hills with Flowers", "Red and Pink Rocks and Teeth", "The Black Place", "Blue and Green Music", "Ballet Skirt or Electric Light", and "The Shelton with Sunspots, New York" paintings. Georgia O'Keefe's work has often been tied to feminist art because many of her paintings reference the vagina and the female/feminine form.

1 comment:

  1. I accompanied Kelsey, so we saw a lot of the same things, but the one that I really wanted to focus on was O'Keefe's "Red Hills with Flowers" from 1937. This may be a stretch, but I totally saw the flowers as symbolic of the innocence and virginity of girls and young women. The hills are also a very feminine figure in the painting as well. They could be seen as (and once again, I know this could be a stretch) breasts, labia, a sign of the fertility and feminine features of a woman, etc.. etc..

    Anyways, that's my idea towards the piece...out there or not, that's what I took away from it.

    --Brian

    ReplyDelete